Monday, September 10, 2007

Define Poetics

I don't know if I can . . . even now . . . when I have been immersed in this thing called poetry for over a year, I wonder if I know what my poetics are or poetics in general. The definition of poetics seems so elusive and yet something that should be so easy to grasp. Given my previous poetic missives, my personal poetics seemed obvious. Is that all there is to my poetry though?

Do I define my poetry, or does my poetry define me? When my current motives have run their course, when my demons have been sufficiently exercised, what becomes of my poetry . . . my poetics? I would like to think that poetry holds a deeper meaning for me.

I look forward to continuing my education and my poetry writing. Perhaps I will find the answers to my questions during this time before more questions pile up. Who knows? Maybe the answers will find me when I'm not looking.

Thanks for opening a door, Jodi . . .

Cheers all . . .

-Dave

No comments: